Today’s roofs are designed to last the same length of time that you own your home, so replacing the roof on your home is one of the best investments you can make. Now that you’ve done your research, you are now ready to replace the roof on your home. It’s important to take into consideration that during the install, your house and property will become a noisy, dusty and messy construction site. There will be roofers on, in and around your home so being prepared will save you a lot of headache!
1. Make arrangements for yourself, family and pets – once the old shingles begin to be removed, it is going to become noisy very quickly which can also quickly become stressful for anyone, especially pets. Consider having your pets spend the day at Pet Day Care or with a relative/friend. Construction equipment and materials can be hazardous for children, so plan to keep the kids indoors or make other arrangements for them during the install. You may also even want to make plans for 2-3 hours to escape the noise yourself. Of course, any good roofing contractor like C&R Roofing, will do everything in their power to minimize the noise as much as possible, but it is always better to be prepared in advance.
2. Prepare the outside of your home by providing clear access to the workspace – obviously, the roofers will need access to your roof in order to get the job done. While a professional roofing company like C&R Roofing will work as neatly as possible, the process of tearing off an old roof and installing a new one is a big project that takes up a good amount of space around the perimeter of your home. So, in order to protect your home and property from the falling debris as well as ensure you are providing a safe work environment, you will want to:
- Clear your driveway and sidewalks before the crew arrives. This means moving your cars, outdoor furniture, children’s toys, grills, garbage bins and any other “obstacle”. The roofing company will use either a roll up dumpster or dump truck to dispose of the debris. It will ideally be placed in your driveway right next to the house to help eliminate debris from being littered into the street as well as reduce labor
- If your home has a swimming pool, you will want to pull the pool cover over it or tarp it
- Tarp any outdoor flowerbeds, plants and any other landscaping. You will also want to remove any hanging plants you may have
- If your air conditioning unit is sitting next to your home, you may want to place a piece of plywood on top of it to prevent debris from getting inside of it
- If you have a satellite dish: Call your cable provider and schedule an appointment for the day after your repair/installation, so they can recalibrate the satellite dish
- Make sure you grass is freshly cut a short length. After the install, expert roofers (like C&R Roofing) will perform a thorough clean-up using powerful magnets and rolling tools designed to pick up nails. These nails can easily get missed when they fall into long grass
3. Clear valuables from your attic - Experienced roofers like C&R Roofing will work hard to minimize the dust and debris created during your roof’s installation, however you may want to consider moving your heirlooms or valuable items in your attic to a safe place until the job is complete. If you are unable to move certain bulky or heavy items, cover them with cloths or a tarp to protect them from dust and shingle debris.
4. Be a good neighbor – your neighbors will more than likely be just as excited as you are about your new roof, as major exterior upgrades will increase the value of your home as well as the surrounding homes. Prior to the install, it would be a good idea to give your neighbors a heads up – this small courtesy will go a long way especially if they have pets or family members that will be affected by the noise as well.
5. Prepare the inside of your home, particularly the upper floor – there may be a lot of vibration in your home caused by the construction that can shift mirrors, hanging frames, chandeliers or light sconces. Although expert roofers like C&R Roofing will do their best to keep noise and debris to a minimum, you may want to consider moving these fragile items to reduce the risk of them falling until after the job is complete.
6. Work with a Home Roofing Expert, like C&R Roofing– one of the best ways to prepare for a new roof installation is to choose a professional roofing company with a proven track record of superior customer service, like C&R Roofing. An expert roofing company will ensure that there is not only constant and clear communication, but also that your roof is installed properly, that any underlying damage is addressed and repaired and make the entire process easy and hassle-free. Here at C&R Roofing, we pride ourselves on providing exceptional customer service to ensure that you as the Homeowner receive the best experience possible.